Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Strawberry Kids

Today we had an impromptu visit to the strawberry patch. Last night we had dinner with our friends the P's. We had a great time and they told us how they had visited the strawberry orchard and the strawberries were great. I usually take the kids to the orchard each year, but we usually end up going during the week and T never gets to go. He was very excited by the news of the ripe and numerous strawberries and really wanted to go today. I suggested going on Sunday, but he said (and this is a direct quote) "Sunday strawberries will be over picked. Saturday strawberries will be just right". So we dropped all of our plans and went to the orchard and picked strawberries (after making kids crafts at the Home Depot...but that is another post entirely).




The orchard was great fun. Each person had their own bucket. The orchard has small wagons to ride in for the kids as the field is about 1/4 mile walk from the parking lot. The kids had a great time. I wasn't sure how they would do as last year I was the only one who really did any strawberry picking. The kids didn't really have a good time last year.



The children did their fair share of eating too today! I looked in Z's bucket and found four strawberries: two whole and two eaten stumps! E pulled a "Blueberries for Sal": one strawberry in the bucket "plink" three in her stomach.





Then we had a nice picnic lunch at the tables out front. It was a beautiful day outside. The temperature was just right with a bit of wind to prevent it from getting too hot. This afternoon we plan to clean out the garage in preparation of our remodeling project.....more about that in the next post!